Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Election Day Euphoria

To say I was euphoric this morning might have been an overstatement. As you can see in the photo, Lynne and I got up this morning pretty early, walked to our polling station by 6:30, and then waited in line until 7:30 to get our votes in. Filled with the democratic spirit, I purchased coffee for the random woman who was standing in the cold morning air with us.


When the polls opened we were ushered down to a crowded basement room in the public library, where our fellow citizens tried to figure out where to stand and what we needed to do. Inevitably, the lines snaked together and election workers struggled to fix the early morning snafus. Eventually we got through the herd, but it took some patience and (for the most part) our fellow Ann-Arborers were in good spirits.

Walking away from the polls I started thinking about what had just happened - how I had, finally, mercifully, after a campaign that lasted a mind-boggling two years, cast my vote for president. Walking home it was still quiet and I had to chance to reflect on my vote and how that felt. I didn't feel euphoria (an emotion that will likely come later tonight, when Senator Obama wins) but it was a powerful and unique feeling. And after thinking about it for a while, I think the best way to describe the feeling was - relief.

Relief that our long national nightmare is nearly over. Relief that I can vote, that I have a powerfully practical way to voice my outrage at the policies of the last eight years. Relief that we won't have to listen to the news and feel like the Bush administration was working to enact a governmental philosophy as unjust as it was exclusive. And relief that our government, our system's best expression of the will of the people, will soon be LESS willing to turn its back on the poorest, most vulnerable, least powerfull members of our society.

At the very least I felt a sense of relief that our elected leaders could no longer try to torture other human beings.

I couldn't help but get choked up. These eight years have been exhaustingly long. Emotionally, I didn't anticipate how CATHARTIC voting would be this year. It didn't feel as exhilarating as it has in the past, but it felt much more important. Tonight, if this election goes how we think it will, we get a chance to celebrate. Its about damn time.

1 comment:

Urmila said...

What a great post. I just read it aloud to Afia and started crying-- a combination, of course, of sensing your relief and admiring your wordsmithery. Can't believe I didn't know about your blog till now!

I was trying to describe to her that today feels differently from yesterday and what I hope is an Obama tomorrow. Up till now it's been all excitement and hope. Tomorrow, it will be total euphoria. I haven't voted yet (just about to go now) so while I haven't experienced the relief you describe, I finally know that what I'm feeling now is a huge anticipation of such relief. Thanks for helping me call it. Gobama.